Monday, October 31, 2005

In the ICU

Sleeping over at the ICU was actually not bad at all. <<I heard you. No offense, my friend. You’re right. It’s not so bad as long as you’re not half dead or having a complication>>

What I’m saying is that my first experience with the ICU was, not pleasing, but nevertheless not an awful one.

I was admitted in the ICU for a day shortly after coming out of the operation room.

The strumectomy (that’s the term used by the doctors in this hospital for thyroidectomy or thyroid surgery) went very well. I was sent to the ICU to allow them to closely monitor any possible difficult breathing and bleeding. Standard procedure, they said.

Nurses checked up on me frequently. I was fully awake, in excellent condition despite the bleeding on my scar, but was not allowed to move much so I had to rely on the nurse to help me when I pee or need to drink. The nurses were all great.

The only distortion was to hear other patients yelled or groaned in pain.

No comments: