Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Thyrax forever

Following up the RAI-131 ablation, the doctor prescribed me with Thyrax, a thyroid hormone replacement drug. One tablet a day, for the rest of my life.

As a consequence of ablation, I got rid of my remaining 'cancer plagued' thyroid gland (the other one was taken away in the previous surgery). My body, however, lost its capacity to produce thyroid hormone.

So, Thyrax (also known in other countries as Levothyroxine) is taken to replace my body's natural thyroid hormone. Thyrax contains the synthetic form of one thyroid hormone, T4, which is a naturally occurring hormone produced by the thyroid and is important for normal energy and metabolism.

More info on Thyrax/Levothyroxine, see:

http://www.drugs.com/xq/cfm/pageID_0/htm_D00278A1.htm/bn_levothyroxine/qx/index.htm

No comments: